ALFRICK PEACE MEMORIAL HALL
Prior to 1953 the need for a community centre in the village of Alfrick was served by the use of an ex-army wooden hut located on the opposite side of the road to the present hall.
Largely as the result of organisation and fundraising by the Old Time Dancing Club arrangements were made to purchase just over an acre of land from The Rural District Council of Martley in whose area Alfrick then fell. The purchase was made in June 1951 and by 1953 the original hall on this site was opened, named as the ALFRICK PEACE MEMORIAL HALL in respect of the dead of two wars.
By the early 1980s the village hall in Lulsley had fallen into disuse and had been demolished and assets resulting from the sale of land were transferred to the Alfrick hall. However, by 2005 it had become clear to the then village hall committee that the building would require major structural work and internal refurbishing if it was going to continue into the future.
With the aid of a lottery grant and local support this work was carried out between June 2009 and July 2010 when the hall in its present form re-opened. At the AGM of the village hall committee, held on 21st April 2010, the community voted to formally adopt the name of “Alfrick and Lulsley Village Hall” but there was a clear wish that the previous name of the hall, together with its origins, should be commemorated.
The community hereby records its gratitude for the hard work and foresight of the original trustees who provided such an important facility and whose written constitution still guides the operation of the hall today.
The names of the trustees are:
Revd. John Hurford The Parochial Church Council Miss M.K.Lewis The Parochial Church Council. Mr T.H.Mansell The Parish Council Mr F.Williams The Parish Council. Captain H. Sheppard DCM The Committee of the British Legion (Alfrick Branch) Mrs Seymour Barling The Committee of the Alfrick Women’s Institute Mr F. Portman The Martley Rural District Council
Prior to closure the hall facilities were falling into disrepair as you can see below :
In 2010 following a major £290,000 refurbishment the hall was reopened. The current trustees of the hall wish to thank all those who have supported the hall during this work. Please click below to see our ‘Roll of Donors 2010’.
A couple of interesting photos from the Hall archive:
For Sat Nav directions to the hall please use the postode: WR6 5HJ